Janet Horne (died 1727) was the last person to be executed legally for witchcraft in the British Isles. Horne and her daughter were arrested in Dornoch in Sutherland and imprisoned on the accusations of her neighbours. Horne was showing signs of senility, and her daughter had a deformity of her hands and feet.
When was the last person accused of witchcraft?
Victoria Helen McCrae Duncan (25 November 1897 – 6 December 1956) was a Scottish medium best known as the last person to be imprisoned under the Witchcraft Act of 1735 for fraudulent claims. She was famous for producing ectoplasm which was proven to be made from cheesecloth.
Are there still witch trials?
Witch-hunts are practiced today throughout the world. While prevalent world-wide, hot-spots of current witch-hunting are India, Papua New Guinea, Amazonia, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
What were witches blamed for?
Witches no longer were seen as healers or helpers, but rather were believed to be the cause of many natural and man-made disasters. Witches were blamed for troubles with livestock, any unknown diseases and unpredicted weather changes.
Where did the term witch come from?
The word witch derives from the Old English nouns ƿiċċa [ˈwittʃɑ] (‘sorcerer, male witch, warlock’) and ƿiċċe [ˈwittʃe] (‘sorceress, female witch’).
Where was the last witch killed in Scotland?
The Witch’s Stone in Littletown, Dornoch, marks the alleged spot of Horne’s execution. She is the subject of the play The Last Witch by Rona Munro, which premiered at the 2009 Edinburgh International Festival and was part of the 2018 summer season at Pitlochry Festival Theatre.
When was the last witch?
The last execution for witchcraft in England was in 1684, when Alice Molland was hanged in Exeter.
Where were the witch trials in Scotland?
The witch hunt seem to have been most frequent in Fife, Perthshire, Glasgow, Stirlingshire and especially Aberdeenshire, all between 4 March and October. The best-known case was that of Margaret Aitken, called The Great Witch of Balwearie. She was likely arrested in Fife in April 1597.